Enjoy grape juice as a refreshing summer drink
Making grape juice at home is an inexpensive alternative to buying it at the supermarket. Plus, it’s a delicious way to enjoy the powerful antioxidants and other health benefits of grapes. And, you’ll know there are no added preservatives or chemicals. There’s only one main ingredient (surprise: it’s grapes!) and the process is pretty straightforward. Give it a try using delicious black or red seedless grapes and enjoy the most refreshing grape juice you’ve ever had.
In order to make grape juice, you’ll need the following items:
- Large saucepan
- Potato masher
- Sieve or cheesecloth
- Jug or large container
- To start, choose your favourite kind of grapes to use (our Sun World favourites are sweet black or red seedless grapes).
- Remove the grapes from their their stems and place them into the colander or strainer.
- Wash the grapes using cool, running water.
- Pour the grapes into the saucepan, and use the potato masher to crush the grapes, extracting the juice.
- Heat the grapes on medium heat (around 65°C) for around 10-15 minutes, reducing the heat further if the juice begins to boil.
- Strain the juice over a jug or large container using either a sieve or cheesecloth (a cheesecloth will give you a smoother juice, free from grape pulp).
- Return the juice to the saucepan, add sugar to taste, and reheat at medium temperature until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the juice back into your jug and refrigerate until cool. If you’d prefer to enjoy right away, pour over ice and serve immediately.
- If you find your juice too sweet or strong, you can dilute it with lemon juice, apple juice, or soda water for the perfect homemade beverage.
If you love grape juice and are looking for more grape flavoured drinks, be sure to check out our grape drinks and smoothie recipes for even more delicious options!