Great addition to your toasty repertoire.
Chilli Grape Chutney (makes 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 3 red chillies, seeds in, finely chopped
- 750g black seedless grapes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 x 1cm-thick slices sourdough bread
- 30g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 200g shaved ham
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 40g baby rocket
- For the chilli grape chutney, put the oil, onion and chilli into a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for five minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Remove the grapes from the bunch and cut any large ones in half. Stir grapes, sugar and vinegar into onion mixture.
- Bring to boil and boil gently for 15 minutes, stirring often, until mixture thickens.
- Spoon hot chutney into hot sterilised jars. Allow to cool. Seal. Store for up to 2 months in the fridge.
- For the toasties – spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Then, turn four of them over. Spread these four slices with mayonnaise.
- Then, top them with ham, mozzarella, rocket and a dollop of the chutney.
- Place the remaining slices on top, buttered side up.
- Toast in a sandwich press or frying pan until the cheese has melted.
Tip: This chutney is delicious with chicken, duck, turkey and prawns. Use like you would a chilli jam in a chicken, cashew and snow pea stir-fry. It’s also a great addition to a cheese platter.